Thursday, March 6, 2008

Exam practice: describing a picture

When describing a picture, mention:
• whom or what you can see (there is/there are, I can see)
• the place
• the season
• what is happening (they are running, shopping, biking, buying things)
• the mood (look happy, sad, excited)
• what has just happened (they have just started doing it)
• what is going to happen next (they are going to go home)
• opinion words (I think, I guess, I believe, it seems to me that, I don’t think, it must be, it could be, one possibility is that…, to my mind, as far as I am concerned, I tend to think that, my personal view is that…)
• whereabouts (at the top, at the bottom, in the left-hand corner, in the background, in the front) there is, there are/it must be winter, it must be spring/they look happy, sad, excited/they are running, shopping, biking, buying things, etc